Visiting Memphis - What to See and Do
(Memphis International Airport MEM, Tennessee - TN, USA)
Beautifully situated on the banks of the Mississippi River, Memphis draws tourists chiefly due to its musical heritage. While famous for its relationship with Elvis Presley, Memphis is a city that has rejuvenated itself and there is a lot more to discover in the city's streets than just rock n' roll attractions.
Ten things you must do in Memphis
- Tour Graceland, Elvis' former home and now a museum which features a collection of jets, cars, exhibits, memorabilia and interactive displays all related to the 'King' and his legendary music career.
- Ride Libertyland Amusement Park's Zippin Pippin, America's second-oldest wooden roller coaster and supposedly one of Elvis' favorites.
- Observe the pandas and collection of more than 3,000 different animals at Memphis Zoo.
- Explore Sun Studio, Elvis' recording studio and the birthplace of rock n' roll; the studio is still in operation and has mixed songs of some of the world's most famous musicians and bands over the years.
- View the extensive collections of West African and Egyptian art at the Art Museum of the University of Memphis.
- Pay homage to Martin Luther King and learn about the history of the American civil rights movement at the Lorraine Motel National Civil Rights Museum.
- Pig out at the 'largest pork barbecue cooking contest on the planet', held every year in Memphis at the May Festival.
- Experience the unique Memphis music sound known as rock n' soul at the Memphis Rock n' Soul Museum.
- Catch a Memphis Grizzlies basketball game or attend a vibrant concert at the towering Pyramid Arena.